Remember that UT is science speak for "Universal Time". It is 4 hours ahead for those on the East Coast and 7 hours ahead for those on the West Coast. For example, 20:00 UT is the same as 16:00 ET....when thinking about a 24 hour clock. To convert it to our traditional 12 hour clocks, subtract 12 from the number (if the number is greater than 12:00 already. So, if it is 20:00 UT and 16:00 ET on a 24 hour clock, then it's 4:00 PM ET on a 12 hour clock.
- Earth radius 6378.137 km
- Moon radius 1737.4 km (k = 0.2723993)
- The Moon orbits the Earth at a speed of 2,288 miles/hour (3,683 km/hour)
- Sun radius 696,000 km (959.634 arcsec at 1 AU)
- The earth rotates at ~ 1,000 miles/hour (1,600 km/hour)
- Light travels through the vacuum of space at 671,000,000 miles/hour
- The Sun is 92.96 million miles from Earth
- The Earth's orbit around the sun is approximately
- Animal behavior changes. Cows return to the barn. Birds and squirrels nest. Crickets chirp.